Quick question- what are you reading right now? What is your child currently reading? During the sunny days of summer, kids will either experience an increase or decrease in the reading routines. Continued reading (affiliate) is essential to academic success. Taking advantage of supplemental reading resources, many of which are often free for students, is key to maintaining educational process. During Summer months, potential for "summer slide" is a common threat to learning loss due to less focus on acquired grade level reading and math skills. Here's the summer reading fun we've all been looking for, read all about it- Scholastic Summer Reading Read-a-Palooza!
Read All About It! Scholastic Summer Reading Read-a-Palooza
Addressing summer slide experienced in child literacy, Scholastic has launched Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza, a free reading program with the goal of increasing grade-appropriate reading material and providing engaging activities throughout the summer.
"United Way is proud to partner with Scholastic once again for a dynamic summer program that will encourage children everywhere to develop strong reading skills while improving the quality of learning environments in communities everywhere," said Suzanne McCormick, U.S. President, United Way Worldwide. "United Way is dedicated to building more resilient, inclusive and sustainable communities and we believe it's critical all children, especially during this era of distance learning, have the ability to develop essential literacy skills through access to quality books."
With a free Home Base account, kids can create an avatar to participate in the Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza by-
- Reading Free Digital Books - Exclusive to the summer zone, kids will have access to select full e-books in their entirety.
- Unlocking Book Donations for Home Libraries - For every two consecutive days a child checks into the zone they will create a Reading Streak which will unlock a new free print book for a child with limited or no access to books. Reading Streaks are earned when kids check in to the Read-a-Palooza zone to confirm they have read that day. With the goal of unlocking all 100,000 books by July, United Way Worldwide, the world's largest privately funded nonprofit, will distribute the books across the country to locations where access to more high-quality books is needed most.
- Sharing Reading Progress - Kids will be able to create and print individualized reading reports summarizing their reading progress. These easy-to-download and printable reports can be shared with teachers or parents to show reading accomplishments.
- Earning Personal Reading Milestones - Kids will be able to earn accolades ranging from bronze, silver, gold and diamond levels for their Reading Streak progress while collecting summer-specific accessories to dress up their avatar.
- Joining a Community of Readers - The summer zone offers kids a safe social platform to interact with friends and make new companions along the way. Through this summer reading community kids will share and discover the joy of stories and help provide books to their peers with limited or no access.
Learn more about Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza and access free summer reading resources, visit Scholastic. Kids can go to Home Base to create their own personal account. Adults can go to Scholastic for free summer reading resources, including book lists, articles, podcasts, and more.
Post a Comment
Tell Me What You Think!